Hadji hafiz Muhammed Baqi Džino-zade -a qadi of Sarajevo, wakif, calligrapher and bibliophile
A qadi of Sarajevo, wakif, calligrapher and bibliophile
Hadji hafiz Muhammed Baqi Džino-zade is our prominent vakif, calligrapher and Islamic judge (qadi) from the period between end of 18th and the first half of 19th centuries. He belonged to the wealthy Sarajevo’s family, whose family member was involved in farm estate, trade, artisanship and judicial profession. One street in a part of Sarajevo -Kovači was named by their family name –Džino as ‘’Džinin sokak’’. The first person from the family Džino known to us is Ahmed Čelebi who signed vakufname of Salih- aga Čurčić from the year 1736.
Thanks to notes written on his manuscripts it becomes known to us that hafiz Džino as a qadi worked in Nevesinje, Novi Pazar, Tesalija, Bosanska Dubica. He had a valuable collection of oriental manuscripts, more than 100 codices among which is a well known and very valuable manuscript of hafiz’s Divan with decoration of classical Persian miniature (one of the most beautiful manuscripts in the Gazi Husrev-bey library) and Ma’rifetname of Ibrahim Hakkija Arzarumija, also well decorated manuscript. Džino made evladijet vakuf out of his collection, and his son Abdul-Baki handed over to the Osman Šehdi Library in Sarajevo. Today that library is part of Gazi Husrec-bey library collection.
Hafiz Džino belongs to the rank of well known vakif from Sarajevo. He gave his rest-house (konak) for the mosque of Kebkebir hadji Ahmed (Mišćina) in Sarajevo and founded one mekteb for males and he main- tained four running water in surrounding areas of Sarajevo. His father hadji Muhammed-aga was a vakif too and founder of one mekteb.
The things which made hafiz Džino well known were his calligraphic and copying activities. He copied nine valuable manuscripts in period between 1790 to 1810, out of which three were collection of fetwa. All of them today are kept in the Gazi Husrev-bey Library. Hadji hafiz Muhamed baqi Džino-zade died in 1822/23, and was buried in the harem of the Musa-pasha mosque in Nova Kasaba near town of Zvornik.